To begin with, we should come up with criteria for giving time out. I believe that in situations where students impulsively act out by hitting someone, making inappropriate noises in class, doing something unsafe...I think these actions warrant time out because we hope that during the time out they will pause to think about how to avoid the impulsive behavior.
My book is in school and I'm responding to it without quotes. Overall, I have concluded several things that I personally think this book has helped me to reflect on and act upon. Firstly, I think we need to look at the books that we have in our classrooms and be sure to offer selections that spark the interest of our boys. Leslie and I will be spending more $$ on literature and if you have particular suggestions on topics, series or authors, please let us know. Another thing that I'm reminded about is the need for physical activity for boys. We will continue to talk about the gym situation at EVCS and the need for physical activity for all students because it is an area that we are deficient in. I'm not referring to that type of 'phys ed or recess activity'. I'm talking about students moving when we don't want them to. I can remember a parent conference where the teacher told me that Wesley was "fidgety," and he had a habit of stretching his legs...many of her comments were related to things that were happening to this tall kid who didn't really fit comfortably in the chairs, and he had lots of energy. As we concluded our meeting we decided that Wesley had to have seat at a table that was larger and he had a larger chair to sit on. Later, he joined the track team and we put him in little league. I had to push back on the teacher who thought that there was a problem. We can't get every student into a team sport but we have to improve our phys ed offerings and be sensitive to the natural growth needs that boys have.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment